MUDASOMWA Pico Hydropower Plant (34kW) is a community based project, will provide clean, reliable and affordable electricity to 260 households, institutions and productive use enterprises.
The plant is being constructed by Mudasomwa Mini-Grid Ltd with the support of Rwanda Energy Group (REG) and E4I, through the Scaling up off Grid Energy in Rwanda (SOGER) programme.
Feasibility study : HOBUKA Ltd & Energy4Impact
Civil works : HOBUKA Ltd
Electromechanical : Gugler Water Turbine GmbH, Austria
Transmission & Distribution lines: REG/EDCL
Benefits to the Community
- Socio-Economic development
- Supply electricity to Cyivugiza Model Village
- Supply electricity also to 260 households, 2 primary schools, 1 health center, 3 churches, 1 administrative office.
- Creating jobs (100 laborers).
- Productive Use Activities: 6 bars and restaurants, 6 grocery shops, 3 cassava mills, 1 welding, 1carpentry,
- Socio-Welfare of the community
- Green and renewable energy
- Using computers
- Health center working 24hours
- Gender Parity
- The Managing Director of Mudasomwa Mini-Grid Ltd is a woman and an engineer,the Plant will be operated by a lady and 30% of Umucyo Cooperative members are women.
- During Construction phase; 30% of laborers were women
CEO REG, visited this project on 21st September, 2019